dear Scott Olsen on Flickr.
Ok so this is the install I made for “Fuck Fear Phobia” - It’s spray paint plus some paper cutouts with a couple of small drawings… unfortunately I was in such a rush that I never took any pics of it and since this was a pop-up show I lost my chance to document it.
The top left there is a paper guy with the words “Dear Scott Olsen” written on orange from hand to hand…
thanks for the pics Natalie!
In response to the horrible treatment of folks at Occupy Oakland the last few days I wanted to create a DIY blog and here’s my first inspiration, the next entry will be my DIY on it.
I am an artist and I love DIY and this seemed fitting to my love for DIY and art to help with all that’s been going on with the Occupy Movement. I hope this tumblr will help you during the protests and protect you and your loved ones during this critical time.
Make your own gas mask!
*Note: I just tried this for the first time so I hope this helps you in your design and make the necessary modifications for your own face.
1) Get a clear 2 liter soda bottle and take the top off (I used aquafina bottle for mine) and cut it to form a mask like on the diagram). Note: Push the bottom of the cut near the spout to create an area where your chin will fit.
2) If you don’t have rubber or form, like me, I used duct tape on the edges of the plastic to prevent cutting your face.
3) Push the mask into the cut bottle to see if it fits, but do not tape it just yet.
4) Fit the mask to your face to cover your eyes and the cut bottle to see where it belongs, then tape it just enough to hold it for a bit.
5) Then take it off being careful not to tear the tape off, and staple the mask to the bottle.
6) To protect your skin from the staples, I taped over the staples and then I put some ribbon down and taped it to help my skin not be scraped.
7) Be sure to bring a small bottle of vinegar (I hear apple cider vinegar is less harsh in terms of smell) to douse the mask, if you want to ease the smell from affecting you, you can add some essential oil such as a little peppermint oil (pure type) to help you breathe.
I put a beanie on so I can pull it over the edge of the mask to help the gas from getting to my eyes. I may try to make this again with some other material and tips I’ve been reading on. *You also may want to cut down the eye part and wear goggles to protect your eyes as well.
Be safe folks and I hope this helps you during the time out there! If it does, or not, reply to me and let me know.